Saturday, March 6, 2010

Max Effort = Max Day

What a great day to be me! I went into The Box today, enjoying the sunshine, and then...my trainer says, "We're gonna start finding your max efforts today." What that means is, we are going to find out just how heavy you can lift on certain types of weight lifting techniques. I had not geared myself up for that, but I'm always willing to do whatever - try whatever. I guess that is what makes me a good student. I just say, "OKAY," no matter how ridiculous or unattainable the task.

So, today...was back squats, push press, and dead lifts. Well, I am very proud to say that my max back squat is 185 pounds. I really wanted 200, but I guess that will be for another day when I am stronger/leaner...but I will get there. A push press is simply lifting weight above your head. Haha...SIMPLY. Boy, that is an understatement. My max push press is 90 pounds. And finally...drumroll please...my max dead lift was 240 pounds!!! That's right ladies and gentlemen, 240 pounds. Just one month ago, it was 220 pounds and a couple months before that, 185 pounds. So, I am improving and I am improving fast.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not tooting my own horn so loud that I am blind to all the things I have ahead of me that still aren't quite there. I look forward to the day when I can one unmodified pull up, or do a full muscle up that is all me, no modifications necessary. But, today was a big day for me and I am going to enjoy! That is, enjoy it, until I am back in the Box on Monday getting a wakeup call that makes this day just what it will be...yesterday.

So, I say all this to say that it doesn't matter where you are or where you THINK you are in the quest for health and strength. If you make the time, results will follow and before long you will be looking at yourself differently. That person you look at in the mirror is becoming, more and more, the person you knew was in there all along. And he/she is pretty fabulous and, oh yes, crazy strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment